Thank you for expressing your interest in a Roman Catholic Marriage ceremony here in our parish. This such an important time in your life as a couple, and the fact that you have shown interest in sealing and the bond of your love in church is truly a wonderful and wonder-filled event. As you move forward in your preparations it is important to focus on a number of aspects.
Some useful statements of Christian marriage:
“The sacrament of Matrimony comes about through a promise made by a man and woman before God and the Church, which is accepted and confirmed by God himself. This forms the bond of sacramental marriage, it is binding until the death of one of the partners … What the Church is on a large scale, the family is on a small scale: an image of God’s love in human fellowship. Indeed every marriage is perfected in openness to others, to the children that God sends, in mutual acceptance, in hospitality and being for others.” (YOUCAT 261 and 271).
A marriage therefore is a SACRED event, in a SACRED space, at a SACRED time. It is important that we remember this when we are looking at how we can fittingly celebrate marriage in Church.
These are a few guidelines:
First, please fill in the Marriage Enquiry Form ( you can click the link here to download it) and send it to Fr Nico at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org – Once we receive your marriage enquiry form, Fr Nico will contact you for processing the paperwork.
Second, Six MONTHS before the actual wedding date is set, the priest will take you through the paperwork that is required. For a marriage to take place in Church at least one of the partners must be a Roman Catholic. The requirements are:
- Baptism certificate, issued within 6 months of the wedding.
- Confirmation certificate.
- Statutory Declaration – a legally binding declaration that you have not been married before. It is a Sworn Statutory statement before a solicitor or commissioner of oaths. Please download this STATUTORY DECLARATION OF FREEDOM
- Pre- Marriage Course.
- Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Form – to be filled out in the presence of the priest
- (If marrying in Britain) Registrar’s Certificate from the Local Borough Council. Our parish registrar is Mrs Marie Gleeson. Email: email@example.com
For more information, you can click the link here to download the Requirements for Wedding